In PE we aim to:
- Give every child the physical literacy, emotional and thinking skills to achieve in PE, sport and life.
- Include, challenge and support every child
- Develop and improve children’s fundamental movement skills of agility, balance and co-ordination
- Develop children’s understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle
At Hatherley Infant School we teach PE through the REAL PE programme. We focus on developing six key abilities:
- Children’s personal, social, physical, cognitive and creative skills as well as teaching them the importance of health and fitness.
By teaching PE in this way, all children are able to succeed. In each engaging lesson they are given opportunities to improve their fundamental skills, make important decisions about their own learning as well as evaluate themselves and others in positive ways.
Our children also enjoy a whole school approach to yoga thus developing their mindfulness and thinking skills.
In dance we give children opportunities to be creative and to explore how their bodies can move in a range of ways. Dance is theme based and runs alongside children’s learning in the classroom. Children develop skills which allow them to work on a dance to music over a period of time. Opportunities are also given to perform dances at local dance competitions.
In EYFS children improve their core strength, balance and co-ordination skills through our balanceability bike sessions and ‘The Daily Mile’.
At Hatherley we also understand the importance of physical well-being outside of school hours and therefore provide a range of extra-curricular activities including zumba, football, outdoor learning and healthy lifestyles cookery club.